9.01.2011

i have a big black notebook

Lately I've been ending each day by "thinking aloud" in this sketchbook. Somehow having space to doodle helps me process my thoughts and feelings better than a regular journal.  One topic I always seem to come back to is how art should fit into my life right now.  I finally realized that the answer is much less complicated than I've been trying to make it.  The reason I keep thinking about this is because I feel an empty space when I'm not creating something.  And that is reason enough to create.  I don't need an audience.  I don't need to make money doing it.  I don't even need to change the world.  I can create because it makes me happy and I love it.  That's enough. 

This idea was so liberating.  I've had a creative block for months now, and after working through these thoughts I finally got some ideas.  Yes indeed, I'm happy when I'm creating.